Monday, February 18, 2013

Get to know me: QandAndroid

Hey guys, you found this new site, great! I'm going to be writing for the Cordless Core, and I thought I'd just leave this here to see if anybody wanted to get to know any of the writers at all (it's by no means mandatory, of course).

I first got into mobile tech way back in 2009, with the iPod classic 2nd gen, followed that up with an iPod Touch 2nd gen, and then later upgraded to an iPod Touch 4th gen. Sure, these aren't phones...but they were my first step into the world of mobile. iPods were great - they offered a ton of great games, apps (good old Tap Tap Revenge). Eventually I'd need a phone though.

When I got my first smartphone, the Galaxy S 2 back in the fall of 2011, I found it did everything my iPod did and more...and since then I've been more of an android guy. It's screen looked really grainy compared to the iPod Touch 4th gen's beautiful screen. Within the first 2 weeks, I'd tried out probably 8 themes, 2 keyboards, and a whole ton of lockscreens. From that point onwards, I was hooked. When my trusty S2 mysteriously stopped turning on, I went to Kijiji and bought a used HTC One X. I clashed with Sense, and the multitasking and poor battery life led to me reselling it at a $20 loss. I went back to my old S2 (after I got it fixed), and decided to get my feet wetter than they already were. I installed my first custom ROM - CM10 (how original). Then I herd news of the Nexus 4 coming back into stock. It was really tempting, but I ended up deciding it would be the phone I stick with. I put my S2 up on a number of classifieds sites and soon sold it - although the Nexus 4 wasn't ready for ordering yet. I used my brother's old BlackBerry Curve (still on BB6) for about 2 weeks until the Nexus came. Ohh my, what a chance that was. The BB stock browser couldn't load reddit because of the pitiful amount of memory. Good thing Opera Mini was available from the App World (because nothing else was). Now I'm back to Dolphin Browser, and loving it a ton.

As far as tablets go, I had a Nexus 7 until an unfortunate incident in which I shattered the digitizer...oops. It was great while it lasted though.

So in short...iPod classic --> iPod touch (gens 2 & 4) --> Galaxy S 2 --> One X --> BB Curve --> Nexus 4. Also owned the Nexus 7 for about 4 months.

As far as my knowledge of mobile goes...I really kind of went nuts after I got my S2. I started lurking around any android site I could find. The first forums style pages I wrote on was at Yahoo Answers (don't judge) answering "which phone should I get" questions...but that only lasted around 3 months. Then I found Reddit. Since then, I've mostly hung around /r/PickAnAndroidForMe, with frequent stops at /r/Android, /r/Mobile, /r/iPhone, /r/WindowsPhone, /r/BlackBerry...basically I try to know all the hardware possible.

Every week I'm listening to a bunch of podcasts covering mobile technology, and I had a bit of experience writing for my own personal android blog...then I thought it was time to go all-out mobile and find writers who could help bring news from all the mobile platforms onto one site...and then the Cordless Core was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment